Wednesday 22 July 2015

Research Paper vs a Thesis?

That is the question, whether to do a Research Paper or a Thesis? I have a couple of Research questions that would result in very interesting subject matter and have started to put a structure together on paper - my mantra for this work is to get it down somewhere on paper and out of my head! On the other hand, I am implementing a training program at work which in itself would make for a great thesis. After reading several of my cohorts blogs it looks as though I am not the only one having trouble deciding. I'll be back soon to post some of my info graphs that will make up the framework for a Research Paper if I go that route. I will also post some of the training strategies that I have put together for work along with the plan of how we are going to implement what we say we are going to do. Might give you some ideas as well.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dorinda,
    I look forward to seeing your infographs; that is a great idea to use them as the framework for the paper. I'm going to do the research paper but my ideas are still very broad; I haven't even narrowed it down to a specific topic yet.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided to go the route of the research paper as well. I have one idea that I am testing out in the WIKI just to get some practice formulating a research questions. But, I'm leaving my options open until we get a little closer to when it comes time to actually do the paper. I still feel too "young" in the program to narrow down my choices at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you'll consider putting your research questions in the wiki, Dorinda. Good place to get some feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dorinda,

    I agree with Erin's comments. It is a bit of a challenge to determine a topic, use a relevant strategy to capture the appropriate metrics and then analyze the findings based on a theoretical framework. The MALAT program has started to fill in some of the gaps in my own knowledge but am not yet entirely comfortable. I think Loni's point about going through the process of adding your research question into the wiki would be a helpful exercise.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete