Thursday 16 June 2016

What is the importance of research and research ethics?

What is the importance of research and research ethics? Why is academic freedom important? This freedom comes with responsibility as it includes that the research meets high scientific and ethical standards. “Academic freedom includes freedom of inquiry, the right to disseminate the results of the inquiry, freedom to challenge conventional thought, freedom to express one’s opinion about the institution, its administration or the system I with one works, freedom from institutional censorship.”

Before reading this article I had a bias that ethical behaviour is pretty self-explanatory and common seneschal. However, this article covers ethics at such a granular level, I had no idea it was such a detailed subject. Some of the core principles are; respect for persons, concern for welfare, justice.

References:
Panel on Research Ethics - The TCPS 2 Tutorial Course on Research Ethics (CORE)

1 comment:

  1. I had heard of the Stanford Prison Experiment (https://tcps2core.ca/files/prisonexp/index.html) before I completed the TCPS 2 CORE. Though, when I started the course, I wasn't too surprised to see it used as a case study! I think that, like you, I may have initially taken the considerations of ethical behavior for granted. However, the activities throughout the CORE really emphasized for me just how easy it is to overlook something that can really hurt the people involved in the research. I appreciate you're considerably further ahead in the MALAT program than me--have you chosen a research or thesis topic yet? Any chance you might toss some of your thoughts into your blog?

    ReplyDelete