Wednesday 20 July 2016

Unit 4 - What is your opinion on distance learning?



This article resonates with me as distance learning has always been a challenge for me; I have learned that I don’t usually thrive in large online groups like MOOCS. However, with having the schedule that I have with work and kids it really was my only option. I had no choice but to adapt. This article explains that online learning is the new norm for study, and I will venture to compare it to remote workers as well. This study was conducted uses a mixed method which I agree with that chosen research method as it would capture the broad spectrum of participants and their experiences with distance learning.

Brown, M., Hughes, H., Keppell, M., Hard, N., & Smith, L. (2015, November 2). Stories from Students in Their First Semester of Distance Learning. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dorinda - thank you for the opportunity to reflect on my views of distance learning. I see that the younger (18-25) learners are quickly able to adapt to digital learning, although it may not be their first choice. The notion of work and studying needing to fit into lifestyles, instead of the other way around (adopted and nurtured by previous generations) has created opportunities for learning and different ideologies of work - telework being one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this article, Dorinda. I just read it for our next assignment and I can also resonate with the challenges. However, I really enjoy online learning and I have completed my BA completely online. In terms of the article I can say from my own experience as a distance learner that I agree with the influence that inhibiting factors, such as employment or dependent children can have. I am surprised that socioeconomic factors only seem to play a minor role. I would think that the high cost of education and the worldwide economic downturn would play a bigger role in motivating students to complete their course.
    Thanks,
    Gritt

    ReplyDelete