Tuesday 26 July 2016

Unit 5 - Blogging

Is blogging remediating academic and business communications? When I looked up the definition of remediation I found this definition (I think I laughed out loud), Remediating is defined as giving a treatment or remedy. An example of remediating is handing someone ibuprofen for their headache. And this is how I think of blogging – a band aid solution to communication. In this article, the author goes on to research how using a blog as a customer service tool to address customer issues. An interesting concept, but I have a hard time to see how a blog would satisfy this need, so I read on.

Fascinating – blogs for business, a content management system. The article states that there is a trend for businesses to use blogs for research and development. I really don’t see how a blog would ever work at my place of employment, anyone out there with me?

References:
Aselin, K. (2011). Blogging: The remediation of academic and business communications. Ann Arbor, Michigan: ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing. (UMI No. 1452706).

2 comments:

  1. Dorinda,

    thanks for your post. I read this article, too.
    The author looks at how blogs can be used in the business world. One example that she describes is a blog established by General Motors to communicate with its customers (p.41). The company received “invaluable customer feedback, as well as constructive input from fellow employees at all levels of the company” (Asselin, 2008, p.42). HubSpot (2016) reports that "79% of companies that have a blog report a positive ROI for inbound marketing in 2013" and that "84% of inbound marketers – compared to only 9% of outbound marketers – cite organic sources (blogging, SEO, social media) as rising in importance."

    With over 409 million people worldwide having read 21.4 billion blog pages in June 2016 (Wordpress, 2016) blogs are definitively a benefit to both the academic and business community. They might not fit in every business environment, but I think, businesses can gain valuable insight from it.

    Thanks,
    Gritt

    References
    Asselin, K. (2008). Blogging: The remediation of academic and business communications. Ann Arbor, Michigan: ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing. (UMI No. 1452706).

    HubSpot. (2016). Blogging stats. Retrieved July 13, 2016, from http://www.hubspot.com/marketing-statistics

    Wordpress. (2016). How many people are reading blogs? Retrieved July 13, 2016, from https://wordpress.com/activity/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorinda, I would put blogs lower on the communication scale. Most direct communications with customers occurs most often on Facebook and Twitter as the customers assume an answer will be immediate or within the same day. The response time on blogs tends to be longer. I have a photo of my marketing bookshelf in my office on my blog, possibly some of the books may be of interest to you for additional research into blogging for business.

    ReplyDelete